6at4 Business Report: Airfares, unemployment
The news was good for job-seekers, home sellers and shoppers... unless you're shopping for an airline ticket.
Positive housing reports
Three reports delivered good news on the economy. People filing for unemployement benefits fell to the lowest point in almost 4 years last week. Housing starts were up 1.5% in January compared with December, so more growth there and a report showed inflation in January rose less than forecast so that means prices are staying steady.
Air Tran and Southwest airlines raising fares
Southwest's round trip fares went up by $10 on most long- and medium-haul flights. The price increase includes Southwest's partner Airtran's flights too. JP Morgan says the airline industry response was largely unanimouswith remaining competitors like American Airlines and Delta likely to match Southwest's price increase today.
6at4, stock market, economy, unemployment, air fare, air travel, home sales, business/finance
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder 38 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Phila. police seek missing special needs woman 12 min ago
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Woman's body found between parked cars in West Philadelphia
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ