6at4 Business Report: Airfares, unemployment
The news was good for job-seekers, home sellers and shoppers... unless you're shopping for an airline ticket.
Positive housing reports
Three reports delivered good news on the economy. People filing for unemployement benefits fell to the lowest point in almost 4 years last week. Housing starts were up 1.5% in January compared with December, so more growth there and a report showed inflation in January rose less than forecast so that means prices are staying steady.
Air Tran and Southwest airlines raising fares
Southwest's round trip fares went up by $10 on most long- and medium-haul flights. The price increase includes Southwest's partner Airtran's flights too. JP Morgan says the airline industry response was largely unanimouswith remaining competitors like American Airlines and Delta likely to match Southwest's price increase today.
6at4, stock market, economy, unemployment, air fare, air travel, home sales, business/finance
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Warmer Weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in Overbrook shooting
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Video released of AK-47 robbery in Wynnefield
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Video: Flyers' Hartnell co-authors children's book