6at4 Business Report: Ford; Apple; Unemployment
March 15, 2012 (WPVI) -- Ford reportedly sued over faulty gas tanks; Apple stock hits $600; Jobless claims drop for week.
Ford gets slammed with a lawsuit. Reuters says the automaker has been sued for allegedly selling trucks over a 10-year period with defective fuel tank linings and for hiding the problem from consumers even as it warned dealers. The suit involves fuel tank linings on 10 E- and F-series truck and van models made between 1999 and 2008 that would "separate and flake off," which would eventually cause a sudden loss of engine power. Ruters says Ford did not immediately return requests for comment.
Jobless Claims at 4-Year Low
Here's more evidence the labor market is improving. First-time claims for jobless benefits dropped last week, matching the lowest level in 4 years. Companies have slowed the pace of firings and are expanding their workforces and that's good news for businesses, because if people have a job they are more likely to boost their spending.
Apple Stock Climbs
Apple's stock got a big boost today ahead of tomorrow's highly anticipated new iPad release. The stock hit $600 a share for the first time ever but settled at just under $586. Morgan Stanley said Wednesday they think Apple's stock can hit $720 a share and a lot of that based on sales of iPads.
6at4, stock market, economy, apple, ford motor company, unemployment, business/finance
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 38 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 36 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death 11 min ago
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
38 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos