6at4 Business Report: Credit card breach; Apple antennagate, Yahoo layoffs
March 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Mastercard and Visa may have been hit by a massive data attack; Sign up to participate in the Apple "antennagate" settlement; Yahoo is downsizing.
Credit Card Security Breach
The security of several major credit cards coming into question today. Reports came out Mastercard and Visa began investigating a potential breach of account information at one of its third parties. Visa says the breach may affect all major credit card brands. A report by Krebs on Security says overall 10-million people may have been affected, and that the attack could've happened between January 21 through February 25.
Consumers Spending Up
Speaking of credit cards, more of you may be out swiping them as confidence grows among consumers. Americans increased their spending by the most in 7 months. Remember consumer spending is the biggest part of our economy so that shows the economy is picking up speed. People are spending more as we're seeing a gain in jobs and income.
Yahoo is preparing to begin layoffs of what could be thousands of employees starting next week, according to All Things Digital. That would be followed by a new restructuring of the company. Currently there are 14,000 Yahoo employees. Yahoo is suffering as web users spend less time on its pages and more time on Facebook and Google and that's putting a crimp in its adveristing revenue.
Apple Antennagate Rebate
Those of you who have the iPhone 4, not the iPhone 4s, could be getting money back from Apple. A class action lawsuit has been settled over the antenna problem. That means people who did not receive a free bumper from apple are eligible to receive a $15 settlement. You have until the end of August to make the claim. If you have one of the phones, you can sign up to become part of the class action lawsuit by visiting this website.
6at4, stock market, economy, apple, iphone, yahoo, business/finance
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 15 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Pictures of planned Old city luxury tower