RI to get $230M from $500M Google forfeiture
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - April 02, 2012 (WPVI) -- Rhode Island law enforcement agencies that participated in an investigation that resulted in Google Inc. forfeiting $500 million last year are receiving $230 million of that money.
U.S. Attorney Peter Neronha (nuh-ROH'-nuh) said Monday that the attorney general's office, East Providence police and North Providence police will each receive $60 million.
State police will receive $45 million and the National Guard will get $5 million. And $100 million will be shared by four federal agencies that participated in the probe.
The remaining $170 million will be deposited in the U.S. Department of Justice's Assets Forfeiture Fund.
Google forfeited the money to settle a government investigation into its distribution of online ads from Canadian pharmacies that were illegally selling prescription drugs to American consumers. The Mountain View, Calif.-based company has said it should have never allowed the ads.
rhode island, google, business/finance
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ