Groupon restatement sparks more worries
NEW YORK - April 02, 2012 (WPVI) -- Groupon's announcement that its revenue and earnings were lower than what it reported in February is sparking fresh worries about its business model.
Trouble arose when the young online deals site said late Friday that it needed to increase the money it set aside for refunds. Now, investors are selling, and some analysts are wondering if Groupon will be able to outgrow its growing pains.
Others say it's just a hiccup for a fast-growing company that basically created the daily deals market.
This isn't the first time that Groupon has had to change its accounting. Last year it got in trouble for reporting its gross billings, not just the money it gets to keep from its deals, as revenue.
Groupon's stock fell $2.10, or 11 percent, to $16.28 Monday afternoon.
- Delaware County mail carrier accused of theft 42 min ago
- Rain Moves Out, Cool Winds Blow In 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Faith-healing couple held without bail 39 min ago
- Police: Woman who hit teen was DUI, reading text
- Deadly crash on I-295 in Mercer County, N.J.
- Tractor trailer crash jams traffic in Chesco
- Sex offender arrested in Del. child porn bust
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy summer 45 min ago
- Philadelphia man sentenced in shaken baby death 40 min ago
- Wash. I-5 bridge collapse caused by oversize load
- Video: New warning about scams targeting seniors 57 min ago
- Healthcheck: Dealing with poison ivy
- Jersey shore reopens for 1st post-Sandy...
45 min ago