Microsoft sells AOL patents on to Facebook
NEW YORK (AP) - April 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Microsoft, which just bought patents from AOL for $1 billion, is now turning around and selling most of them to Facebook for $550 million.
Microsoft and Facebook said Monday that Facebook is buying about 650 of the 925 AOL patents and patent applications Microsoft bought.
Facebook will also get a license to use the rest of the AOL Inc. patents. Similarly, Microsoft Corp. will get a license to use the patents Facebook is buying. This part of the arrangement amounts to an agreement between Facebook and Microsoft not to sue each other over any of the AOL patents.
Microsoft says the deal enables it to recoup half the cost of the AOL deal while reaching its goals for the purchase.
facebook, microsoft, business/finance
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Teen injured in Willingboro hit, run 27 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant 51 min ago
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos