Pa.'s Zippo expects 500 millionth lighter in June
PITTSBURGH (AP) - April 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- A Pennsylvania company that makes metal-cased cigarette lighters with lids known for their distinctive "click," is on schedule to produce its 500 millionth lighter this year.
And by ramping up production, Zippo is projecting it can make that happen on June 5 - the birthday of the late George Blaisdell, the man who founded the company in Bradford in 1932.
To celebrate the milestone, Zippo will produce roughly 60,000 replica lighters that day, each with a commemorative stamp. About 50,000 replicas of the 500 millionth lighter produced that day will come with the company's well known brushed chrome finish. Another 10,000 will be made with high-polished Armor cases with gold engraving.
The chrome replicas will sell for $50 and the gold-engraved for $100 through the company's catalog.
- Man dressed as Santa struck on I-95
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 30 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
30 min ago