Wal-Mart offers online shoppers a "cash" option
NEW YORK (AP) - April 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- Wal-Mart shoppers now will be able to pay cash for online purchases.
The world's largest retailer on Thursday said it will allow shoppers to buy items on Walmart.com and then pay for them with cash at all of its 3,800 U.S. stores. The discounter says it's the first major retailer to offer shoppers the opportunity to purchase online without a bank account, or credit, debit or prepaid card.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc. is trying to cater more to its customers who don't have access to those financial services. After all, only about 15 percent of Wal-Mart's its transactions are paid using a credit card.
The company, based in Bentonville, Ark., the initiative was well received when it tested it in a few stores in various parts of the country over the past six weeks.
"We are going to touch a segment of the American public who hasn't been able to participate online without going through a lot of hoops," said Joel Anderson, president and CEO of Walmart.com.
It works like this: Customers go to the website to select the item and place an order. During checkout, they can select the "cash" option and their shipping preference. The shopper then has 48 hours to take the printed order confirmation to the cash register at a Wal-Mart store. Once the order is paid, the customers can either arrange to have the items shipped to a store for free or to another address for a fee.
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub 8 min ago
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 51 min ago
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks bombing anniversary 54 min ago
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire 6 min ago
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park...
8 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
51 min ago