6at4 Business Report: What's the cost to raise a kid?
So... how much do you think it will cost to raise a kid?
Mortgages Rate Up
Mortgage rates up for the first time in eight weeks! The average rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage increased to 3.7%. Lower borrowing costs have been fueling refinancing and helping homeowners to reduce monthly mortgage payments.
Airline Arrival Times Improving
Airlines are getting better at delivering passengers on-time. According to the Department of Transportation the nation's airline had an 84.5% on-time arrival rate for the first four months of the year. Carriers also mishandled fewer bags. Airlines have been on a winning streak, topping their on-time arrival rates each month. Experts attribute the better numbers to mild weather and carriers cutting back on flights.
$234,000 to Raise a Child
Meantime, the cost of raising of child is on up. It's up 3.5% for kids born last year compared with those born in 2010. A middle-income family may spend more than $234,000 to raise a child born last year. not including college, and not accounting for the inflation that may kick in between now and when they children turn 18.
6at4, stock market, economy, children, home sales, business/finance
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police