6at4 Business Report: What's the cost to raise a kid?
So... how much do you think it will cost to raise a kid?
Mortgages Rate Up
Mortgage rates up for the first time in eight weeks! The average rate for a 30-year fixed mortgage increased to 3.7%. Lower borrowing costs have been fueling refinancing and helping homeowners to reduce monthly mortgage payments.
Airline Arrival Times Improving
Airlines are getting better at delivering passengers on-time. According to the Department of Transportation the nation's airline had an 84.5% on-time arrival rate for the first four months of the year. Carriers also mishandled fewer bags. Airlines have been on a winning streak, topping their on-time arrival rates each month. Experts attribute the better numbers to mild weather and carriers cutting back on flights.
$234,000 to Raise a Child
Meantime, the cost of raising of child is on up. It's up 3.5% for kids born last year compared with those born in 2010. A middle-income family may spend more than $234,000 to raise a child born last year. not including college, and not accounting for the inflation that may kick in between now and when they children turn 18.
6at4, stock market, economy, children, home sales, business/finance
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Up to 50 vehicles in deadly PA Turnpike crash 24 min ago
- Video: Widener U. students help stuck drivers
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm 34 min ago
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Check local traffic on 6abc.com!
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Police: Son of PHA employee charged with DUI
- Body found in Logan tire fire
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
42 min ago