Flashy Oracle founder's next buy: Hawaiian island
HONOLULU (AP) - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The billionaire poised to buy a Hawaiian island is an ostentatious and eclectic man who does everything in a big way.
And those who know Larry Ellison say buying an island in the middle of the Pacific is right up his alley.
Mike Wilson wrote the first biography of Ellison. He says the Oracle Corp. founder will likely do something "epic and grand" with Lanai.
The high-tech maverick is known for flaunting his fortune, driving fancy cars, flying his own jet and spending $200 million to build a Japanese-themed compound in the Silicon Valley.
Wilson says Ellison won't be concerned about how he will fit in a laid-back island where longtime residents are grappling with the loss of their pineapple fields to make way for luxury development.
- 51 confirmed dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 25-year-old man shot dead in North Philadelphia 59 min ago
- Teen shot multiple times in Feltonville
- Pa. primary will settle municipal, judicial, races 7 min ago
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Surveillance of man stealing tractor in Franklin Township 11 min ago
- Center City high rise evacuated due to fire
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- New sighting reported of missing student's car
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder