Flashy Oracle founder's next buy: Hawaiian island
HONOLULU (AP) - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The billionaire poised to buy a Hawaiian island is an ostentatious and eclectic man who does everything in a big way.
And those who know Larry Ellison say buying an island in the middle of the Pacific is right up his alley.
Mike Wilson wrote the first biography of Ellison. He says the Oracle Corp. founder will likely do something "epic and grand" with Lanai.
The high-tech maverick is known for flaunting his fortune, driving fancy cars, flying his own jet and spending $200 million to build a Japanese-themed compound in the Silicon Valley.
Wilson says Ellison won't be concerned about how he will fit in a laid-back island where longtime residents are grappling with the loss of their pineapple fields to make way for luxury development.
- Death toll lowered in Okla. tornado; 24 dead 33 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- Delaware trash can explosion leaves 1 injured
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Man convicted of murder in Pa. musician's slaying
- 15 motorcyclists arrested following NJ chase ID'd
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- SUV crashes when dog gets stuck in steering wheel
- NJ ex-priest arrested after working with kids
- Larry Holmes wins round in Pa. parking dispute
- Surveillance video released in food vendor murder
- Death toll lowered in Okla. tornado; 24 dead
33 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos