Flashy Oracle founder's next buy: Hawaiian island
HONOLULU (AP) - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The billionaire poised to buy a Hawaiian island is an ostentatious and eclectic man who does everything in a big way.
And those who know Larry Ellison say buying an island in the middle of the Pacific is right up his alley.
Mike Wilson wrote the first biography of Ellison. He says the Oracle Corp. founder will likely do something "epic and grand" with Lanai.
The high-tech maverick is known for flaunting his fortune, driving fancy cars, flying his own jet and spending $200 million to build a Japanese-themed compound in the Silicon Valley.
Wilson says Ellison won't be concerned about how he will fit in a laid-back island where longtime residents are grappling with the loss of their pineapple fields to make way for luxury development.
- Photos: Recent prostitution arrests in Philadelphia 58 min ago
- Clouds to sun, cool today 30 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Vice principal commits suicide after ferry accident 37 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter 45 min ago
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 48 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- Stalkers have QVC host living in fear
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- 13 pound baby born at Delco hospital
- Video: Hero twins yell, hit carjacker to escape
- Driver killed in collision with taxi cab in...
41 min ago
- Firefighters battle 3-alarm blaze in...
38 min ago