Flashy Oracle founder's next buy: Hawaiian island
HONOLULU (AP) - June 21, 2012 (WPVI) -- The billionaire poised to buy a Hawaiian island is an ostentatious and eclectic man who does everything in a big way.
And those who know Larry Ellison say buying an island in the middle of the Pacific is right up his alley.
Mike Wilson wrote the first biography of Ellison. He says the Oracle Corp. founder will likely do something "epic and grand" with Lanai.
The high-tech maverick is known for flaunting his fortune, driving fancy cars, flying his own jet and spending $200 million to build a Japanese-themed compound in the Silicon Valley.
Wilson says Ellison won't be concerned about how he will fit in a laid-back island where longtime residents are grappling with the loss of their pineapple fields to make way for luxury development.
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos