Facebook hits new low as IPO lock-up ends
NEW YORK (AP) - August 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Shares of Facebook are plunging to all-time lows after the expiration of a lock-up period that has provided early investors and insiders with an opportunity to exit.
The stock fell 7 percent, or $1.49, to $19.71 in Thursday morning trading.
If the stock hits $19, it will have lost half its value since Facebook went public in May.
It's been a rough run for Facebook. After one of the most anticipated initial public stock offerings in history, Facebook Inc. suffered what may be the most-botched IPO as trading glitches marred its first day. It's been almost all downhill since then.
In all, 271 million shares become eligible for sale Thursday, on top of the 421 million already trading. It's conceivable no one would sell those extra shares, but if too many do, Facebook's stock could decline.
Firms ranging from Accel Partners to Goldman Sachs, Zynga CEO Mark Pincus and Facebook board members James Breyer, Peter Thiel and Reid Hoffman are among those free to sell stock they own. Microsoft Corp., an early Facebook investor, is another one, though it's unlikely to sell because of partnerships it has with Facebook.
It's not yet known whether anyone had sold shares. The stock price decline could reflect investor anticipation of such a move.
Other shareholders, including many Facebook employees, will be able to sell beginning in October. The last lockup period expires next May, a year after the initial public offering.
Facebook Inc. is based in Menlo Park, Calif.
facebook, stock market, business/finance
- More Snow on the Way 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Preparing for more snow
- Video: Tracking more snow 34 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school 12 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 13 min ago
- Video: Recapping the Eagles Snow Bowl 20 min ago
- Roy Halladay retires after 16 seasons 16 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- More Snow on the Way
14 min ago