US home prices rise in July by most in 6 years
WASHINGTON (AP) - September 4, 2012 (WPVI) -- U.S. home prices jumped 3.8 percent in the 12 months ending in July, according to a private real estate data provider. The year-over-year increase was the biggest in six years, further evidence that the housing market is steadily recovering.
CoreLogic said Tuesday that home prices also rose 1.3 percent in July from June. That's the fifth straight increase in both the monthly and year-over-year price indexes.
The index is the third national measure to show steady increases. The Standard & Poor's/Case-Shiller index posted its first annual increase in nearly two years last week. And a federal government housing agency has also reported annual increases.
The states with the biggest gains according to CoreLogic over the past 12 months were Arizona, Idaho, Utah, South Dakota and Colorado. In Arizona, prices have risen 16.6 percent since July 2011. Idaho has posted a 10-percent gain in that time.
But not all states are seeing increases. In Delaware, prices dropped 4.8 percent in the 12-month period. Prices fell 4.6 percent in Alabama in that stretch.
The housing market has been slowly recovering this year. Sales of new and previously occupied homes are up. Builders are more confident and starting work on more homes. And mortgage rates are near their lowest levels of the past six decades.
Prices are also rising because the supply of available homes remains tight.
Still, the housing market's recovery is just beginning. Prices remain 27 percent below their peak in April 2006, CoreLogic said.
The recent improvements have been widespread. Out of 100 large cities tracked by CoreLogic, only 23 posted year-over-year declines in July. That's four fewer than in June.
home sales, economy, business/finance
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 16 min ago
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila. 6 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard 40 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 11 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids 45 min ago
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint 26 min ago
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL] 47 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
45 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing pills in Gloucester...
44 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman...
11 min ago
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
47 min ago