Amazon unveils new Kindle Fire models
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (AP) - September 6, 2012 (WPVI) -- Amazon is updating its Kindle Fire tablet computer as it steps up competition with Apple's iPad and refreshing its whole line of Kindle gadgets.
The basic model will cost $159, down from $199 for the old model. It will start shipping Sept. 14. It's also coming with high-end versions, including ones with a screen nearly as big as the iPad.
Amazon also refreshed its line of stand-alone e-readers. Called Paperwhite, the new e-reader model has a black-and-white screen.
The Kindle Fire is an effort to take a larger share of a tablet computer market dominated by Apple's iPad.
Amazon has been selling lower-priced tablets at thin, if any, profit margins to boost sales of digital items from its online store.
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Turning Milder 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 26 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse 44 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed