AMR expects about 4,400 job cuts, warns 11,000
DALLAS (AP) - September 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- American Airlines is sending layoff warning notices to more than 11,000 employees although it expects job losses to be closer to 4,400.
The airline said Tuesday that notices went out to mechanics and ground workers whose jobs will be affected as the company goes through a bankruptcy restructuring.
American Airlines spokesman Bruce Hicks says that fewer than 40 percent of those getting notices will lose their jobs. He says federal law requires the company to notify anyone whose position could change if they are "bumped" by a more-senior employee whose job is eliminated.
air travel, bankruptcy, american airlines, business/finance
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Video: Obama misspells "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" in Aretha... 47 min ago