AMR expects about 4,400 job cuts, warns 11,000
DALLAS (AP) - September 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- American Airlines is sending layoff warning notices to more than 11,000 employees although it expects job losses to be closer to 4,400.
The airline said Tuesday that notices went out to mechanics and ground workers whose jobs will be affected as the company goes through a bankruptcy restructuring.
American Airlines spokesman Bruce Hicks says that fewer than 40 percent of those getting notices will lose their jobs. He says federal law requires the company to notify anyone whose position could change if they are "bumped" by a more-senior employee whose job is eliminated.
air travel, bankruptcy, american airlines, business/finance
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 46 min ago
- 1 person injured in Hamilton Twp. house fire
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
More business resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos