US Bank, PNC latest to report website problems
NEW YORK - September 27, 2012 (WPVI) -- Two more major American banks, U.S. Bank and PNC, reported problems with their customer websites Wednesday after a financial services security group warned about possible cyberattacks.
U.S. Bank spokesman Tom Joyce said some customers experienced intermittent delays. He said the bank was working to fix the problem and was working with law enforcement.
A spokesman for PNC, Fred Solomon, said its online operations were mostly normal but some customers had trouble accessing PNC.com on their first try. He said the bank was aware of a similar threat for Thursday and was taking precautions.
The U.S. Bank spokesman said the issue appeared to be related to problems at other banks in the past week. JPMorgan Chase and Bank of America both had site problems last week, and Wells Fargo reported access problems with its site Tuesday.
Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn., told C-SPAN last week he believed Iran was behind the Chase and Bank of America attacks.
Also last week, the Financial Services Information Sharing and Analysis Center, an industry group, raised its cyber threat level to "high" from "elevated" because of potential cyberattacks.
U.S. Bank is part of U.S. Bancorp, the nation's No. 8 financial company by assets, according to the most recent federal figures. PNC is part of PNC Financial Services Group, which is No. 11.
cyber attacks, banking, business/finance
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 43 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- 1 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- ID theft warrant leads to pot bust in Hamilton Twp.
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Gun falls out of sock, kills thrift store worker
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more