Facebook stock closes above $40 for 1st time
NEW YORK (AP) - August 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Facebook's stock closed above $40 for the first time Friday.
The social network's shares have gained 53 percent since July 24, when it reported strong growth in mobile ad revenue and a solid profit during its second quarter.
Facebook announced a technology partnership Wednesday that aims to expand Internet access to the 5 billion people not currently connected. That could create more potential Facebook users.
Facebook Inc. went public in May 2012 at $38 per share. There were lofty expectations, but the company's initial public offering was marred by trading glitches. Worries about growth prospects then weighed on shares. They bottomed at $17.55 in September.
Those fears appear to have eased. The stock closed up 5.2 percent at $40.55 Friday, touching the highest price since the day of Facebook's IPO.
facebook, stock market, business/finance
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 48 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 35 min ago
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 37 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County 24 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 39 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Remembering a wife/mother lost to cancer
50 min ago
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
35 min ago
- London theater partially collapses; 80...
48 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos