Vonage to settle investigation involving 32 states
November 16, 2009 (WPVI) -- Millions of taxpayer may get an unexpected and unwelcome surprise this April. Plus, if you were ever a Vonage phone customer, you could be eligible for a refund.
$3-million multi-state settlement.
Vonage must issue refunds to consumers who've filed valid complaints with their state's attorney general's office since January 1st, 2004.
Consumers who file new complaints within the next 120 days are also eligible to get some money back.
The settlement also requires Vonage to changes its marketing practices and make it easier to cancel service.
If you're sick of unexpected restrictions, penalties, and expiration dates on gift cards we have good news. The Federal Reserve is proposing better consumer protections.
Under the new rules, gift cards could not expire within five years. Also, service or inactivity fees could be imposed only if the consumer hasn't used the card for at least a year or has been given clear disclosures. Also, no more than one fee could be charged a month.
The rules are slated to take effect on August 22nd after public comment.
More than 15 million taxpayers could unexpectedly owe taxes when they file their federal returns in the spring. That's because the government was too generous with its new Making Work Pay tax credit.
The Treasury Department says taxpayers are at risk if they have more than one job, are married and both spouses work, or receive Social Security benefits while also earning taxable wages.
Workers started getting the tax credit through small increases in their paychecks in April.
Also if you're planning to take the train on Thanksgiving you'd better book your ticket now.
Amtrak expects 51,000 more riders than usual on November 25th and all trains in the Northeast will require reservations.More money-related links:
- Save money with Local Coupons
- Coupon Bug helps you save cash
- Saving with 6abc reports
- Share on the Saving with 6abc Message Board
- Track your stocks
- Follow Action News on Twitter
- Get Action News on your website
- Follow Action News on Facebook
- The latest Philadelphia headlines from the Delaware and Lehigh valleys
lawsuit, thanksgiving, tax day, tom corbett, vonage, consumer news, nydia han
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures