Gov't probing problems in 2010 Kia Souls
WASHINGTON (AP) - August 16, 2010 (WPVI) -- The 2010 Kia Soul, a boxy vehicle that has been marketed to urban motorists, is being investigated by government regulators for potential loss of steering control.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday on its website that it had received one complaint alleging complete steering loss. The preliminary investigation covers more than 50,000 vehicles.
The complaint said the steering shaft detached from the steering wheel, leading to a complete loss of steering, and the shaft fell into a position that interfered with the driver's ability to brake.
The government agency seldom opens an investigation based on one complaint but said it was "very concerned about this failure in that it occurred without warning on a new vehicle at low mileage and resulted in a complete loss of steering as well as a compromised brake system."
The owner who filed the complaint had driven the vehicle for two months and had 4,300 miles on it.
Kia officials did not immediately comment on the investigation.
The South Korean automaker launched the Soul in early 2009 and has posted strong sales for the funky compact wagon, helped by a memorable advertising campaign featuring rapping hamsters dressed in baggy clothes and hoodies.
The Soul was among 27 vehicles from the 2010 model year that received the "top safety pick" award from the Virginia-based Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Vehicles are selected for providing the best protection in front, side and rear crash tests based on Institute evaluations during the year.
kia, automobiles, consumer news
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 38 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 1 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
13 min ago