Honda recalling Passport SUVs over suspension
WASHINGTON (AP) - December 17, 2010 -- Honda Motor Co. is recalling about 35,000 Passport sport utility vehicles to inspect brackets on the rear suspension that could detach and lead to a crash.
The recall announced Friday involves Passports from the 1998-2002 model years and is limited to 21 states and the District of Columbia where road salt is used during the winter.
Honda says the front bracket of the rear suspension lower trailing links could corrode and the bracket could break off from the frame. Honda spokesman Chris Naughton said the government received 33 complaints from owners but no injuries were reported.
The recall covers SUVs in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Naughton said the problem was not related to a similar recall involving Ford Windstar minivans. Ford has recalled more than 600,000 minivans in the U.S. and Canada this year over concerns the rear axle could break, affecting the vehicle's handling.
Honda said it expected to notify owners beginning Friday and encouraged owners to take their vehicles to an authorized dealer.
Owners can determine if their vehicle needs inspection by going to www.recalls.honda.com or calling 800-999-1009 and selecting option 4.
recall, honda, consumer news
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 12 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 5 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 24 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 23 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow 4 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan...
12 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
24 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
5 min ago