Consumer Reports tests iPad 2 & other tablets
PHILADELPHIA - March 17, 2011 (WPVI) -- The iPad 2 has been selling out since its launch, but it's far from the only game in town.
Consumer Reports has tested the new tablet and checked out how it stacks up against its competition, including the Motorola Xoom and the Samsung Galaxy Tab.
Consumer Reports' first look at the iPad 2 finds it is an improvement from the original iPad. The new model has two cameras - one on the front and another in the back - so you can video chat and take photos.
It also has a sleeker profile and weighs less, making it even easier to carry around. It processes graphics more quickly, which is most obvious if you play serious video games. With everyday tasks, you might not notice a big difference.
As for tablet competition, there are two tablets giving Apple a run for its money. The newest is the Motorola Xoom. It's about the same size as the iPad and has a built-in USB port, which the iPad 2 does not. However, the Xoom is thicker and heavier than the iPad.
The Galaxy Tab from Samsung has a smaller screen and is much lighter than the iPad 2, making it the easiest overall to tote around with you.
Both the Galaxy Tab and the Motorola Xoom include a memory card slot, something else the iPad 2 lacks. Keep in mind, some technology bloggers complain the Xoom's card slot is virtually unusable due to a lack of software support.
"Both of these tablets run on the Android platform and, unlike the iPad, they support the Flash videos used by many websites. But there are fewer apps in the Android market than there are in Apple's iTunes store," said Paul Reynolds of Consumer Reports.
Of course, price factors in, and at most configurations the iPad still costs less than these competitors.
Bottom line - Apple improved the iPad and kept the price relatively low - starting at $500 - making the iPad 2 the tablet to beat.
The iPad 2 also scored best in Consumer Reports' battery tests. The battery lasts 12 hours, longer than the original iPad, the Motorola Xoom, and the Galaxy Tab.
apple, ipad, consumer news, nydia han
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk 42 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 41 min ago
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
28 min ago
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos