Chrysler recalls 242,000 Ram pickup trucks
DETROIT (AP) - July 13, 2011 (WPVI) -- Chrysler is recalling nearly 250,000 Ram pickups because a bad part in the steering system can cause drivers to lose control of the truck.
The Ram is Chrysler's top-selling vehicle. The recall covers 242,780 Ram 1500, 2500 and 3500 pickups from the 2008 to 2011 model years.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Wednesday on its website that a part near the left front wheel can fracture, and potentially cause crashes.
The problem happens mainly at low speeds when drivers are making tight turns. Chrysler says drivers have reported a few minor crashes and one minor injury.
Affected models include 2008-2011 Ram 2500 and 3500 four-wheel-drive pickups and 2008-2011 Ram 3500 two-wheel-drive chassis cabs made from Feb. 14, 2008 through March 28, 2011.
Also affected are 2008 Ram 1500 mega cab four-wheel-drive models made from Feb. 14, 2008 through Aug. 15, 2008.
In addition, Ram 2500 and 3500 trucks made from the 2003 through 2008 model years also could be recalled if the same part was replaced by mechanics during regular service.
Chrysler Group LLC sold more than 734,000 Ram pickups from 2008 through June of 2011, according to Autodata Corp. The 1500 is the standard Ram, while the 2500 and 3500 are models designed for heavier duties.
Chrysler dealers will inspect the trucks and replace the left outer tie rod and align the wheels for free if necessary.
The company has not determined yet when it will notify owners. Affected owners can contact Chrysler at 1-800-853-1403 or NHTSA at 1-888-327-4236.
chrysler, recall, consumer news
- Philly to Newark flight forced to make belly landing
- Cloudy And Cooler 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man found shot and killed in Wynnefield
- 2 injured in head-on crash along MLK Drive
- Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
- 1 winning Mega Millions ticket sold in New Jersey
- Police: Pa. woman served family poison laced burritos
- Wife hid murdered husband, prosecutors say
- Connecticut commuter trains collide; 70 hospitalized 58 min ago
- Driver, passenger hurt in Cheltenham Township crash
- Woman critically injured in Radnor Township house fire
- Dozens of home remedies right in your kitchen
- Cloudy And Cooler
1 min ago
More consumer resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos