Repairmen keeping busy during the heat
PHILADELPHIA - July 22, 2011 (WPVI) -- Across the Delaware Valley, air conditioning companies are reporting a big increase in service calls and are working nearly round-the-clock to keep up with them.
Anthony Condino's Heating and Air Conditioning service has been on call nearly 24 hours a day and seven days a week in South Philadelphia.
At Lombardi's Prime Meats, the capacitor shorted out on the cooling unit on the roof, threatening the supply of fresh meat.
"With this kind of heat, the meat could spoil and everybody's uncomfortable. It's a bad situation," said shop owner Anthony Lombardi.
Repairmen try to respond as fast as they can when it's a commercial business:
"Even if it's residential, it's still the same; they might have a heart condition. We respond as fast as possible," said repairman Anthony Condino.
Sarah Salandria was preparing dinner when she noticed a temperature rise, and it wasn't due to her oven.
"This is not good on a day like today, not good at all," said Salandria.
A power surge shut her unit down.
"It just went on lock out and we had to reset it," said Condino.
If your air conditioner shuts down, Condino has some suggestion before you call a repairman.
Condino says that these are just a few simple tips that could help you avoid an unnecessary bill.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, heat wave, consumer news, lisa thomas-laury
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall
- Warm and humid, 80s again today 1 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Man gunned down at water ice stand
- Bicyclist shoots man in face in SW Philadelphia 19 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Man shot in the head in Camden; suspect sought 35 min ago
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Suicide at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris 40 min ago
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place 41 min ago
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
1 min ago