Ford to recall 1.1M pickup for gas tank problem
TRAVERSE CITY, Mich. (AP) - August 1, 2011 (WPVI) -- Ford Motor Co. says it is recalling 1.1 million pickup trucks because the gas tanks can fall off and cause a fire.
The company is recalling certain Ford F-150, F-250 and Lincoln Blackwood pickups. The recall affects certain models from the 1997 model year through the 2004 model year. They were sold in cold-weather states where salt is used to clear roads. That salt can corrode straps holding the tanks in place.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Monday on its website that the straps holding up the tanks can rust, causing them to fall to the ground. The tanks can rupture and cause a fire.
Ford reported eight incidents of the tanks falling, resulting in three injuries.
Ford's F-Series pickup traditionally is the top-selling vehicle in the U.S.
ford motor company, automobiles, recall, consumer news
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet
- Finally, a nice weekend! 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro 5 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Suspect sketch in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run 21 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
7 min ago
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos