Consumer Reports: Comparing coffee makers
September 28, 2011 (WPVI) -- If you can't get moving without that first cup of coffee in the morning, then a great coffeemaker is a necessity.
Today you have more and more options to choose from, including single-serve coffeemakers.
Consumer Reports tested these and dozens of others to find the best brewing machine for the money.
Consumer Reports checked out more than 65 coffeemakers from names like Cuisinart, Mr. Coffee, and Krups. Most important - brew performance.
"Part of what we're looking for in our brew performance test is to see whether or not the coffeemaker can reach the ideal temperature of 195 to 205 degrees Fahrenheit," explained Eric Hado of Consumer Reports.
When it comes to today's coffeemakers, you have lots of options. There are brew and dispense models like this one. Some coffeemakers brew up coffee for a crowd on one side, or a cup on the other. In addition to a traditional carafe, some coffeemakers have a divided basket so you can brew two different types of coffee into two thermoses.
With the growing sales of single-serve coffee pods, Consumer Reports also tested more than a dozen designed just for those.
"With coffee pods," Hado said, "we look for things like brew temperature, consistency, speed, and convenience."
Testers top-rated the Senseo Supreme SL 7832 for $125. It was one of the fastest. It brewed a cup of coffee in under 2 minutes, and it can brew two cups at once.
After you've bought the perfect coffeemaker, make sure to get a great tasting coffee to brew. In Consumer Reports tests of ground Colombian coffee, Gloria Jean's Colombian Supremo scored top ratings. It costs $13.50 a pound. Right behind, Newman's Own Organics Colombian Especial Medium impressed testers with its nutty and fruity notes. It costs $8.50 a pound.
food, consumer news
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- Steamy Situation
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Oklahoma Tornado: How to help and avoid scams
- Local search and rescue team helping in Oklahoma
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say 11 min ago
- Police: 2 caught red-handed in Radnor burlgary
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- New push to revitalize West Philly's Lancaster Ave.