Consumer: Walmart gift card scam, junk email
March 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- How would you like a Walmart gift card worth $1,000?
Many people are getting a text message with such an offer but, as it turns out, it's all a scam.
The message started circulating years ago but is rearing its ugly head once again.
In the message, users are told they'll get the gift card just for clicking the link or completing a survey.
Walmart says it does not offer $1,000 gift cards in this manner.
If you get the message, do not click on the link.
Another scam going around is hitting email inboxes.
In this one, a message appears to come from the Better Business Bureau saying the agency has received a complaint from you.
The message includes a link, purportedly for more information. Again, do not click on the link and, if you have in the past, run a full virus and spyware scan on your computer.
PSE&G won't report customer info to credit agency
New Jersey's largest utility will not turn over customer payment histories to a credit reporting agency after all.
PSE&G announced in 2010 that it would notify Experian about payment histories.
But the director of the Division of Rate Counsel sued saying PSE&G has no right to disclose individual customer information to a third party without the customer's consent.
AC Airport to add full-body scanners
Travelers - listen up! Atlantic City International Airport will be adding full-body scanners by the end of the month.
Airport officials say the change is part of an overall upgrade and redesign of its screening areas.
They say the changes will allow the airport to accommodate more passengers and ensure quicker movement through screening.
Good news if you're sick of junk email
Chains like Nicole Miller and JC Penney are cutting back on the number of emails they send, apparently realizing too many can annoy customers.
By the way, last year, the nation's top one-hundred retailers sent an average of 177 messages to each customer - Neiman Marcus sent more than 500!
walmart, jc penney, scam, consumer news
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 36 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 52 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
36 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
52 min ago