Consumer: Walmart gift card scam, junk email
March 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- How would you like a Walmart gift card worth $1,000?
Many people are getting a text message with such an offer but, as it turns out, it's all a scam.
The message started circulating years ago but is rearing its ugly head once again.
In the message, users are told they'll get the gift card just for clicking the link or completing a survey.
Walmart says it does not offer $1,000 gift cards in this manner.
If you get the message, do not click on the link.
Another scam going around is hitting email inboxes.
In this one, a message appears to come from the Better Business Bureau saying the agency has received a complaint from you.
The message includes a link, purportedly for more information. Again, do not click on the link and, if you have in the past, run a full virus and spyware scan on your computer.
PSE&G won't report customer info to credit agency
New Jersey's largest utility will not turn over customer payment histories to a credit reporting agency after all.
PSE&G announced in 2010 that it would notify Experian about payment histories.
But the director of the Division of Rate Counsel sued saying PSE&G has no right to disclose individual customer information to a third party without the customer's consent.
AC Airport to add full-body scanners
Travelers - listen up! Atlantic City International Airport will be adding full-body scanners by the end of the month.
Airport officials say the change is part of an overall upgrade and redesign of its screening areas.
They say the changes will allow the airport to accommodate more passengers and ensure quicker movement through screening.
Good news if you're sick of junk email
Chains like Nicole Miller and JC Penney are cutting back on the number of emails they send, apparently realizing too many can annoy customers.
By the way, last year, the nation's top one-hundred retailers sent an average of 177 messages to each customer - Neiman Marcus sent more than 500!
walmart, jc penney, scam, consumer news
- Robbery suspect sought, Villanova U. locked down 12 min ago
- Splendid spring finale
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Crackdown on illegal street vendors in W. Phila. 20 min ago
- Pregnant woman, 2 others shot in N. Phila.
- Viewer takes photos of bear in back yard 54 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman Zimmer 5 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids 59 min ago
- 15 charged in NJ unemployment fraud case
- Father, son 'pimps' acquitted after prostitutes testify
- Suspect robs Philadelphia Dunkin' Donuts at gunpoint 40 min ago
- Deen says she used slur but doesn't tolerate hate
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL] 1 min ago
- 20 people charged in Ocean Co. heroin raids
59 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing pills in Gloucester...
58 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder, pitchman...
5 min ago
- AMA declares obesity a disease [POLL]
1 min ago