Is new iPad too hot to handle?
March 20, 2012 (WPVI) -- There was no question that the new iPad would be a hot device.. But no one figured it would be too hot - literally, right?
But some consumers have been complaining that the new iPad seems to overheat when they're doing things like gaming or downloading..
So with that in mind - Consumer Reports did some testing today.
Testers used thermal imaging to assess the new iPad while running video games.
They had the new iPad run Infinity Blade II uninterrupted for about 45 minutes.
Video games do tax a tablet more than other applications.
During the test, the device's 4G connection wasn't turned on, but its Wi-Fi link was and the ambient room temperature was about 72 degrees.
In the end, testers found, indeed, the new iPad can run significantly hotter than the earlier iPad2 model.
"The new iPad got as hot as 116 degrees in our tests. That's about 12 degrees hotter than the iPad 2. But still isn't reason for serious concern," Paul Reynolds of Consumer Reports said.
Consumer Reports testers say even when the iPad was at its hottest, while it felt very warm, it wasn't uncomfortable to hold - at least for a brief period.
For more information, including about tests on the battery, click here.
consumer reports, ipad, apple, consumer news, nydia han
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 39 min ago
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos 2 min ago
- 2 dead after truck and car collide in Mercer County
- Suspicious package found outside Planet Fitness in Olney
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- SUV crashes into gas pump, bursts into flames
14 min ago