DJG, Inc. recalls cabinet locks
March 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- Push 'N Snap Cabinet Locks imported by Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) Inc. are being recalled because of a safety hazard.
DETAILS: Push 'N Snap Cabinet Locks imported by Dorel Juvenile Group (DJG) Inc., of Columbus, Ind.; sold at Bed Bath & Beyond, retail stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com from January 2004 through February 2012.
The locks are used to secure cabinets with two straps that wrap around the knobs or handles on a cabinet door. When the product is in the "lock" position, a green triangle is shown through a window on the device. The Safety 1st logo is embossed on the front of the lock. The cabinet locks were manufactured in China.
WHY: Young children can disengage the cabinet locks, allowing access to cabinet contents and posing the risk of injury due to dangerous or unsafe items.
INCIDENTS: DJG has received 200 reports of locks that did not adequately secure the cabinet, including reports of damaged locks. The firm is aware of 140 children between the ages of 9 months and 5 years who were able to disengage the locks and gain access to the cabinet's contents.
In three of the reported incidents, the children who gained access swallowed or handled dishwashing detergent, window cleaner or oven cleaner, and were treated, observed and released from emergency treatment centers.
HOW MANY: About 900,000.
FOR MORE: Contact DJG at 866-762-3212 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. EDT or visit the firm's website at www.djgusa.com .
recall, consumer news
- Fmr. Chester Co. teacher faces child porn charges 20 min ago
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 11 min ago
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting 36 min ago
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Photo released of anti-Semetic vandalism suspect 25 min ago
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Video gamer is the victim of SWATting hoax
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Apparent misunderstanding in police shooting
36 min ago
More consumer resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos