Finger amputation danger prompts bike seat recall
April 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of bike seats for kids are being recalled after severe injuries to children's fingers.
About 40,000 Topeak Babyseat II Bicycle Carrier Seats are affected. There are two reports of children getting their fingers caught in a hinge on the seat and nearly having their fingers amputated.
Specifically, the recall involves Topeak Babyseat II bicycle carrier seats with model numbers TCS2100, TCS2101 and TCS2102. Model numbers are printed on the product's packaging. The gray, plastic Babyseats were sold in three styles: Babyseat, Babyseat with disc brake compatible rack and Babyseat with non-disc brake compatible rack. The racks are used to mount the seat to the bicycle. "Topeak" is embossed on the back of the seat and is also printed on a black foam protector that covers the grab bar. A red locking lever on the side of the blue grab bar locks the bar into place.
Officials say children can place fingers in the opening at the grab bar's hinge, and when the grab bar is lifted to remove the child from the seat, the child's fingertips can be caught in the hinge mechanism.
The seats were sold at J&B Imports, REI, Action and Hawley, independent bicycle dealers, distributors and other retail stores nationwide and online at REI.com from January 2009 through April 2012 for between $140 and $180.
Consumers should immediately stop using the seats and contact Todson to receive a free hinge cover retrofit kit. You can call Todson at (800) 250-3068 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.todson.com.
recall, children, consumer news
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 39 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 19 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 25 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 39 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 39 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 39 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 22 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 38 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 39 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
39 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
39 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
38 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
19 min ago