Finger amputation danger prompts bike seat recall
April 5, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of bike seats for kids are being recalled after severe injuries to children's fingers.
About 40,000 Topeak Babyseat II Bicycle Carrier Seats are affected. There are two reports of children getting their fingers caught in a hinge on the seat and nearly having their fingers amputated.
Specifically, the recall involves Topeak Babyseat II bicycle carrier seats with model numbers TCS2100, TCS2101 and TCS2102. Model numbers are printed on the product's packaging. The gray, plastic Babyseats were sold in three styles: Babyseat, Babyseat with disc brake compatible rack and Babyseat with non-disc brake compatible rack. The racks are used to mount the seat to the bicycle. "Topeak" is embossed on the back of the seat and is also printed on a black foam protector that covers the grab bar. A red locking lever on the side of the blue grab bar locks the bar into place.
Officials say children can place fingers in the opening at the grab bar's hinge, and when the grab bar is lifted to remove the child from the seat, the child's fingertips can be caught in the hinge mechanism.
The seats were sold at J&B Imports, REI, Action and Hawley, independent bicycle dealers, distributors and other retail stores nationwide and online at REI.com from January 2009 through April 2012 for between $140 and $180.
Consumers should immediately stop using the seats and contact Todson to receive a free hinge cover retrofit kit. You can call Todson at (800) 250-3068 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.todson.com.
recall, children, consumer news
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Brisk And Cold 52 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Water main break causes river of ice in Cherry Hill 59 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken 20 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment 46 min ago
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Brisk And Cold
52 min ago
- Water main break causes river of ice in...
59 min ago
- 3 injured in car crash in Pennsauken
20 min ago
- Fire damages South Philadelphia apartment
46 min ago