Consumer Reports: Best grills
June 8, 2012 (WPVI) -- You can burn some big bucks buying a new gas grill. But do you have to in order to get one that delivers delicious results?
Consumer Reports went to great lengths to get you the answer just in time for the summer.
'Everybody loves a barbecue.' That's the motto for Gina Hegarty's catering company.
"It just reminds you of your childhood and it just reminds you of being together, and parties and fun," said Hegarty.
Gina's company cooks on gas grills.
Consumer Reports has tested nearly a hundred gas grills. They range in price from $100 all the way up to $2500.
With some you need to factor in plenty of space. This $1200 grill is almost seven feet long!
Testers grilled a number of foods to see how well each grill performed. Steaks were cooked to assess if flare-up is a problem.
"To see how evenly a grill cooks at lower temperatures, testers grill salmon steaks as well as chicken breasts," said Consumer Reports' Dan DiClerico. "Now both those foods can easily dry out if grill gets too hot."
And then there were tests that involved no food at all. Thermocouples measure how evenly a grill distributes heat across the surface of the grates.
One thermal image shows even heating across the grill. But another, not so much.
Several high-priced grills were top performers, but Consumer Reports found plenty to recommend that cost a lot less, among them the $200 Char-Broil Classic from Home Depot.
"It rated excellent for low-temperature cooking and grilled up a very good steak, too," said DeClerico.
It can handle whatever menu you've got planned, in case you don't have someone like Gina who brings the barbeque to you.
Consumer Reports found another great buy which costs a little more than the CharBroil Classic. It's from Walmart, the $250 Brinkmann grill, model number 810-2545.
consumer reports, consumer news, erin o'hearn
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 1 min ago
- Milder Monday 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 1 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90 1 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door 1 min ago
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Milder Monday
40 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing...
1 min ago