Recall: Strollers pose amputation risk
June 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Thousands of strollers are under recall because they could cut or even amputate fingers.
Five case have been reported where people have suffered severe injuries while using the strollers: 3 children whose fingertips were amputated and 2 adults whose fingers were either smashed or lacerated.
There are roughly 36,000 of the strollers that were made by Kolcraft and sold at specialty stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com, Target.com and ToysRUs.com from January 2006 and June 2012 for between $150 and $160 between January 2006 and this month.
Officials say a child or consumer's finger can become caught in the opening formed when locking and unlocking the hinge mechanism which is used to adjust the handlebars on the strollers. This presents an amputation and laceration hazard to children and the adults handling the stroller.
This recall involves Kolcraft Contours Options three- and four-wheeled strollers. Strollers included in the recall have model numbers starting with
On the ZL002 model, the model number and date of manufacture is printed on a sticker above the left wheel. On the ZL005, ZL008, ZL015 and ZL018 models, the model number and date of manufacture is printed on a label sewn into the edge of back of the stroller seat pad. The strollers were manufactured from January 2006 through November 2009 and sold in various color schemes.
If you own one, you should immediately stop using the stroller and contact the company for a free repair kit. You can call Kolcraft at (800) 453-7673 between 8 a.m. and 6:45 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.kolcraft.com
recall, children, amazon.com, target, toys r us, consumer news
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney 39 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight 9 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware 29 min ago
- NE Phila. couple stabbed at home, son arrested
- 7-year-old critically injured in SW Phila. house fire
- Amber Alert for Pottsville teen canceled
- Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
- Philadelphia man arrested for firing shots at police
- French soldier stabbed in throat outside Paris
- Angel Flight crashes in NY, 2 killed, 1 missing
- NJ man claims share of $198M Mega Millions jackpot
- Start to 1st summer after Sandy at NJ shore 41 min ago
- Body found in home of Philadelphia attorney
39 min ago
- 1 dead in I-495 crash in Claymont, Delaware
29 min ago
- Clear, Still Breezy Tonight
9 min ago