LG & Kenmore Elite Dryer recall
August 22, 2012 (WPVI) -- More than 20,000 popular dryers are being recalled this morning because they can fail to shut off.
The recall involves LG Electronics and Kenmore Elite Gas Dryers sold between November of 2009 through August of 2010.
The problem is the gas valve doesn't shut properly, posing a fire hazard.
DETAILS: LG Electronics and Kenmore Elite Gas Dryers manufactured by LG Electronics, Inc. of South Korea; the LG Electronics brand gas dryers were sold at various appliance stores nationwide from November 2009 through August 2010; the Kenmore Elite brand gas dryers were sold at Sears stores nationwide from November 2009 through August 2010. The gas dryers come in the following colors: white (LG models); and red, white and gold (Kenmore Elite models). The model and serial numbers are on a label fixed to the front of the dryer, which can be viewed only when the door is open. The gas dryers were manufactured in South Korea.
WHY: The gas valve in the dryers can fail to shut off properly, continuing to heat the dryer and its contents after the drying cycle is complete. High temperatures inside and on the exterior surface of the dryers can scorch the drum, as well as burn or damage the dryer contents, posing a risk of burn, fire and smoke inhalation.
INCIDENTS: LG Electronics and Sears have received 141 consumer complaints about dryers continuing to heat after the drying cycle is complete. There were three reports of minor burns to hands or arms. Burnt or scorched clothing was reported in more than 50 incidents.
HOW MANY: About 21,000.
FOR MORE: Contact LG at 866-223-5355 Monday through Friday between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. EDT, and Saturday between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m. EDT, or visit the firm's website at http://www.lg.com/us. Contact Sears at 888-375-9741 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. EDT, and Saturday between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. EDT, or visit the firm's website at http://www.sears.com.
For more information: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml12/12251.html
recall, consumer news
- 7-alarm fire destroys homes in Sea Isle City
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?
- Shelter Me: Voorhees Animal Orphanage
54 min ago