Consumer Reports test CFL or LED light bulbs
August 23, 2012 (WPVI) -- Action News has the results of Consumer Reports latest light bulb test and the results may surprise you, and customers who bought a popular exercise device can now apply for a refund.
In consumer news: CFLs or LEDs?
Action News warned you against the Ab Circle Pro two years ago after Consumer Reports tested it, and now customers who bought the exercise device can submit claims for refunds.
The commercials claimed three minutes of use a day could melt pounds and inches.
Action News told you Consumer Reports disagreed with the product's claims, and now customers who bought it can get their money back.
The marketers of the Ab Circle Pro are giving out much as $25 million in refunds after the Federal Trade Commission sued for deceptive advertising.
For more information on how to get a refund call 1-877-FTC-HELP. Or click on the link below http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2012/08/abcirclepro.shtm.
Consumer Reports has released results from its latest light bulb test, and says LEDs have real advantages.
Consumer Reports says while CFLs burned out, LEDS continued to go strong, and unlike CFLs, some LEDs can be dimmed as low as an incandescent bulb. LEDs turn on to full brightness instantly.
"We found that some LEDs have the same warm glow as incandescent bulbs," says Dan DiClerico.
With all LEDs, the disadvantage is price; many cost $20 or more per bulb.
"LEDs are more expensive, but they are designed to last so long, 23 years or more, that you will likely save about $130 dollars over their lifetime," DiClerico said.
So which LEDs are best?
Among 60-watt equivalents, Consumer Reports top-rated two, the EcoSmart from Home Depot that produces a white light, and the 12.5 watt Philips that has a warmer, yellower light. Both cost around $25.
And unlike CFLs, LEDs don't contain any mercury.
consumer reports, consumer news, nydia han
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures