500,000+ Mr. Coffee machines recalled
August 30, 2012 (WPVI) -- Steam can build up inside the Mr. Coffee brewers and spew hot water and coffee grounds. Several people have been severely burned.
The maker of certain Mr. Coffee single cup machines is recalling more than 500,000 of them in the U.S. because steam can build up and send hot water and coffee grounds flying.
The Mr. Coffee makers affected are about 11 inches tall and colored black with silver, red or white trim. The machines have a Brew Now /Off button and a removable drip tray. The water tank is located on top of the unit towards the back.
The model number is printed on the bottom of the brewer. Recalled model numbers are:
So far, 164 of the machines have had the brewing chamber overheat due to the steam pressure. In the U.S. there have been 59 people who suffered burns to their faces, torsos and hands because of the problem.
The Mr. Coffee machines were sold nationwide at stores, including Bed Bath & Beyond, Brandsmart, JC Penney, Kmart, Lowe's, Target and Walmart, and online at www.mrcoffee.com from September 2010 through August 2012 for between $60 and $80.
If you own one, you should immediately stop using the recalled coffee brewer and contact JCS to receive instructions on how to obtain a free replacement unit. You can call (800) 993-8609 anytime, or visit the firm's website at www.mrcoffeerecall.com
recall, consumer news
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases