Consumer Reports: Store vs. Name brands taste test
September 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Store brand or name brand? How do you know which supermarket favorites are the most delicious, and the best deals?
Using trained taste testers - Consumer Reports checked out whole-grain spaghettis. All contain at least five grams of fiber per serving. Regular pasta only contains about two.
Some of the pastas had a cardboard flavor.
But two rated very good. 365 Everyday Value Organic from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's Organic.
Consumer Reports also tested 5 regular pastas with added ingredients like protein, calcium, and Vitamin D, as well as more fiber. One of the best was Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti.
Now we're pitting store brands against name brands. Buying store brands can lead to big savings: an average of 25% off your grocery bill. But do store brands taste as good? Consumer Reports put its taste testers to work to answer that question, too.
Consumer Reports did blind tests of 19 pairs of products. Target's Market Pantry Ranch salad dressing went up against Hidden Valley's.
"It was a tie," according to Adam Kaplan of Consumer Reports. "Quality-wise they're right about the same, but they had different flavors."
Walmart's Great Value battled Nature Valley's granola bar.
"Another tie," Kaplan said. "Both were chewy, and they were pretty much the same quality."
When Clover Valley's crackers from Dollar General went up against Sunshine's Cheez-Its... Another tie!
"The bottom line: Store brands are worth a try, and they usually cost a lot less."
Consumer Reports says that the savings and quality aren't limited to store-brand foods. For example, both Target's Up & Up paper towels and Walmart's White Cloud toilet paper have rated excellent in Consumer Reports' tests.
food, 6at4, consumer news, nydia han
- Missing Skippack student found in North Carolina 49 min ago
- Spotty, but drenching showers this afternoon, a t'storm also possible 21 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip 49 min ago
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa. 54 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping 30 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings 29 min ago
- Video shows assault rifle shooting at strip club
- Allentown fire crews find body in burned apartment 46 min ago
- Driver injured in crash involving Delaware fire chief
- NJ man accused of defrauding FEMA
- Cicadas arriving in NJ in time for holiday weekend
- Thunderstorms slow Oklahoma tornado cleanup
- 8 charged in $14M drug operation in SE Pa.
54 min ago
- New details released in NJ liquor swapping
30 min ago
- Bus co. mistake cancels kids' DC field trip
49 min ago
- 2 dead in separate police involved shootings
29 min ago