Consumer Reports: Store vs. Name brands taste test
September 18, 2012 (WPVI) -- Store brand or name brand? How do you know which supermarket favorites are the most delicious, and the best deals?
Using trained taste testers - Consumer Reports checked out whole-grain spaghettis. All contain at least five grams of fiber per serving. Regular pasta only contains about two.
Some of the pastas had a cardboard flavor.
But two rated very good. 365 Everyday Value Organic from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's Organic.
Consumer Reports also tested 5 regular pastas with added ingredients like protein, calcium, and Vitamin D, as well as more fiber. One of the best was Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti.
Now we're pitting store brands against name brands. Buying store brands can lead to big savings: an average of 25% off your grocery bill. But do store brands taste as good? Consumer Reports put its taste testers to work to answer that question, too.
Consumer Reports did blind tests of 19 pairs of products. Target's Market Pantry Ranch salad dressing went up against Hidden Valley's.
"It was a tie," according to Adam Kaplan of Consumer Reports. "Quality-wise they're right about the same, but they had different flavors."
Walmart's Great Value battled Nature Valley's granola bar.
"Another tie," Kaplan said. "Both were chewy, and they were pretty much the same quality."
When Clover Valley's crackers from Dollar General went up against Sunshine's Cheez-Its... Another tie!
"The bottom line: Store brands are worth a try, and they usually cost a lot less."
Consumer Reports says that the savings and quality aren't limited to store-brand foods. For example, both Target's Up & Up paper towels and Walmart's White Cloud toilet paper have rated excellent in Consumer Reports' tests.
food, 6at4, consumer news, nydia han
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila. 19 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 29 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe in Va. 1 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
29 min ago