Consumer Reports fact checks Febreze claims
October 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- When it comes to commercials that really grab your attention, one of most memorable ad campaigns is from Procter and Gamble, for its Febreze Air Effects air freshener. Consumer Reports wanted to see whether that product really lives up to its claims.
The Febreze ad shows "an experiment" using an old goat, a sweaty bodybuilder, and a day-old fish. A group of "real people" confirms that it all stinks. Then the room is treated with Febreze Air Effects and blindfolded people are brought in. They are asked to "take a deep breath and tell what it smells like."
Consumer Reports decided to do a sniff test of its own, calling on some brave volunteers. They were taken to a room where a cat litter box and sardines had been sitting for 4 hours. While blindfolded, the volunteers confirmed that the room smelled bad.
Then the room was sprayed with Febreze Air Effects. More blindfolded staffers were led into the room. Most thought it still smelled pretty bad. Although the spray concealed some of the odors, it didn't work as well as it did in the ad, and any effect was just temporary. So you still need to clean out the cat box, put your fish away, and take out the trash.
Consumer Reports also tested another Febreze spray, Air Effects Pet Odor Eliminator, to see whether it worked any better with the litter box smell. It did a bit better, but not by much, so you have to stay on top of that cleaning job!
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Tracking Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- OSHA investigates lead exposure at Oxford Mills
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No death penalty for man charged in wife death
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos