Amazon to hire 50,000 seasonal workers this year
SEATTLE (AP) - October 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Amazon.com Inc. says it's hiring 50,000 temporary workers at order-fulfillment centers across the U.S. this holiday season.
The Seattle-based online retailer says it expects "thousands" of those it hires to stay on full time.
Full-time workers get stock grants and benefits. The company says its full-time employees make 30 percent more than traditional retail employees. It says stock grants have added an average 9 percent to base pay over the last five years.
Tuesday's announcement follows hiring announcements from major retailers.
Among those, Macy's Inc. plans to hire 80,000 seasonal workers, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to add 50,000. Toys R Us Inc. plans to hire 45,000 seasonal workers this year.
amazon.com, employment, holidays, shopping, consumer news
- Police: Missing boy struck by car
- Temps soar above normal
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- No jackets for North Philadelphia cheer squad
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in phone scam
- Stolen cobalt-60 found abandoned in Mexico
- Report: NSA tracks billions of cellphones daily
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Prosecutor: Sex investigation of FSU QB over
- Photos: 6abc at Q102 Jingle Ball 2013
- Video: 20th annual Phila. holiday tree lighting