Amazon to hire 50,000 seasonal workers this year
SEATTLE (AP) - October 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Amazon.com Inc. says it's hiring 50,000 temporary workers at order-fulfillment centers across the U.S. this holiday season.
The Seattle-based online retailer says it expects "thousands" of those it hires to stay on full time.
Full-time workers get stock grants and benefits. The company says its full-time employees make 30 percent more than traditional retail employees. It says stock grants have added an average 9 percent to base pay over the last five years.
Tuesday's announcement follows hiring announcements from major retailers.
Among those, Macy's Inc. plans to hire 80,000 seasonal workers, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to add 50,000. Toys R Us Inc. plans to hire 45,000 seasonal workers this year.
amazon.com, employment, holidays, shopping, consumer news
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco 13 min ago
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown 12 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia 54 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases