Amazon to hire 50,000 seasonal workers this year
SEATTLE (AP) - October 16, 2012 (WPVI) -- Amazon.com Inc. says it's hiring 50,000 temporary workers at order-fulfillment centers across the U.S. this holiday season.
The Seattle-based online retailer says it expects "thousands" of those it hires to stay on full time.
Full-time workers get stock grants and benefits. The company says its full-time employees make 30 percent more than traditional retail employees. It says stock grants have added an average 9 percent to base pay over the last five years.
Tuesday's announcement follows hiring announcements from major retailers.
Among those, Macy's Inc. plans to hire 80,000 seasonal workers, while Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to add 50,000. Toys R Us Inc. plans to hire 45,000 seasonal workers this year.
amazon.com, employment, holidays, shopping, consumer news
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 44 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend 34 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 13 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist 31 min ago
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest