Consumer Reports tests batteries
October 26, 2012 (WPVI) -- With Hurricane Sandy looming and people rushing to stores to buy supplies, Consumer Reports tests batteries to find out which ones last the longest.
Melissa Gabriel was actually given batteries as a baby shower gift.
"My friend who'd had kids before said you have no idea how much you're going to need these all the time," she said.
Two boys later, Melissa is constantly buying batteries.
AA batteries are the biggest sellers. They're commonly used in flashlights, digital cameras, remote controls and toys.
Consumer Reports tested a dozen, including big names like Energizer and store brands like Walgreens and CVS.
Testers used a rack to evaluate battery performance. It is programmed to mimic a digital camera and a flashlight.
The tests turned up big differences.
The Eveready Gold - the worst batteries - took only 52 shots before dying.
The Energizer Ultimate lithium - the best - took 682 shots. But they are expensive; more than $2.50 per battery.
"Lithium batteries do cost more, but they can be worth it for digital cameras and other high-drain devices," says Sarah Goralski.
Among alkaline batteries, top ratings went to the Duracell Ultra Power for about a dollar per battery.
"Akaline batteries don't tend to last as long, so they are better for low-drain devices like flashlights or remotes," said Goralski.
And for families like Melissa's, who use a lot of batteries to power toys, Consumer Reports says rechargeable batteries are the best.
Lithium batteries and rechargeable batteries should be recycled. And while many places allow you to throw out alkaline batteries, Consumer Reports says it is good to recycle those too.
You can find the nearest recycling center at Earth911.com
consumer reports, consumer news, alicia vitarelli
- Search for missing college student from Collegeville
- Stray Shower, Patchy Fog Tonight
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Tornadoes level homes in Oklahoma, hit other states
- 2 alarm apartment fire in Washington Township
- Tracking down criminals with family DNA testing
- 15 motorcyclists arrested in NJ Turnpike chase
- Bear spotted in Bensalem, Bucks County
- Teen killed over iPad, 2 suspects arrested
- 2 FBI agents killed in training accident in Virginia
- 1 winning Powerball ticket sold in Florida
- Sketches released of Del. attempted abduction suspect
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 winners list
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos