ADP says US businesses added 158,000 jobs in Oct.
November 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- Payroll provider ADP says businesses added 158,000 jobs in October.
ADP said it saw growth in construction, transportation and utilities, financial activities, and services. Manufacturing was the only sector that lost jobs.
ADP says the job gains accelerated from September, when revised figures showed a gain of 114,000 jobs.
ADP is calculating job gains with a different methodology than it had previously used. It had previously reported a gain of 201,000 jobs for September. The new report covers more businesses.
The report only covers hiring in the private sector, so it excludes government job growth.
The Labor Department will offer a more complete picture of October hiring on Friday.
economy, employment, consumer news
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 59 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 13 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations
- Michael Carter-Williams released from hospital
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally