Waiting to ship gifts? Time's running out!
PHILADELPHIA - December 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- The holiday shopping season is in full swing and if you are planning to ship your gifts, you are running out of time.
The deadline to get presents in the mail had people lining up at the 30th Street Post Office on Wednesday.
"You can't miss Christmas. It kind of has a set date!" said Darin Harbaugh, one of several people who stopped in to pick up the presents he ordered online.
"I got two books for my kids," he said.
Harbaugh is just one of many, many people sitting down to the computer to order gifts. Online sales are up this year, and that means an even bigger holiday rush for FedEx, UPS and the Postal Service.
All three say they're busier this year.
"Santa is never late with all these helpers. We here at USPS are here to assist," said Postmaster Howard Sample.
The U.S. Postal Service expects its busiest day to be next Wednesday. It has hired extra workers to help get packages out earlier to keep up with everything coming in.
The last day to ship presents depends on the company you use. December 22nd is the deadline for FedEx and the Postal Service. The cutoff date for UPS is December 21st.
If you are shipping overseas, you'll need to get those gifts out this week.
holidays, shopping, consumer news
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run