Waiting to ship gifts? Time's running out!
PHILADELPHIA - December 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- The holiday shopping season is in full swing and if you are planning to ship your gifts, you are running out of time.
The deadline to get presents in the mail had people lining up at the 30th Street Post Office on Wednesday.
"You can't miss Christmas. It kind of has a set date!" said Darin Harbaugh, one of several people who stopped in to pick up the presents he ordered online.
"I got two books for my kids," he said.
Harbaugh is just one of many, many people sitting down to the computer to order gifts. Online sales are up this year, and that means an even bigger holiday rush for FedEx, UPS and the Postal Service.
All three say they're busier this year.
"Santa is never late with all these helpers. We here at USPS are here to assist," said Postmaster Howard Sample.
The U.S. Postal Service expects its busiest day to be next Wednesday. It has hired extra workers to help get packages out earlier to keep up with everything coming in.
The last day to ship presents depends on the company you use. December 22nd is the deadline for FedEx and the Postal Service. The cutoff date for UPS is December 21st.
If you are shipping overseas, you'll need to get those gifts out this week.
holidays, shopping, consumer news
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Reward offered in poisoning of puppy 33 min ago
- 1 dead in cement truck, car crash in Levittown 19 min ago
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del. 25 min ago
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply 56 min ago