Waiting to ship gifts? Time's running out!
PHILADELPHIA - December 12, 2012 (WPVI) -- The holiday shopping season is in full swing and if you are planning to ship your gifts, you are running out of time.
The deadline to get presents in the mail had people lining up at the 30th Street Post Office on Wednesday.
"You can't miss Christmas. It kind of has a set date!" said Darin Harbaugh, one of several people who stopped in to pick up the presents he ordered online.
"I got two books for my kids," he said.
Harbaugh is just one of many, many people sitting down to the computer to order gifts. Online sales are up this year, and that means an even bigger holiday rush for FedEx, UPS and the Postal Service.
All three say they're busier this year.
"Santa is never late with all these helpers. We here at USPS are here to assist," said Postmaster Howard Sample.
The U.S. Postal Service expects its busiest day to be next Wednesday. It has hired extra workers to help get packages out earlier to keep up with everything coming in.
The last day to ship presents depends on the company you use. December 22nd is the deadline for FedEx and the Postal Service. The cutoff date for UPS is December 21st.
If you are shipping overseas, you'll need to get those gifts out this week.
holidays, shopping, consumer news
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 45 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 18 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane 49 min ago
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
45 min ago
- Skydiver's 'chute gets tangled in plane
49 min ago