Top diets for your New Year's resolution
January 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- More than two-thirds of American adults are overweight, even obese. So at the top of many New Year's resolutions is the dreaded "D" word - DIET.
To find the best, Consumer Reports' surveyed 9,000 of its subscribers and asked about their real-life experiences with 13 popular ways to lose weight. A free app called MyFitness Pal was top rated. People who used it said it made them very aware of how many calories they were consuming and how much they were exercising. They also liked how it helped them maintain their weight loss.
MyFitnessPal has useful features such as a barcode scanner that automatically enters the amount of calories per serving. You can also track how many calories you burn while exercising. And on its website you can get encouragement from others using the program.
Another do-it-yourself diet that did well in Consumer Reports' survey is called the Paleo Diet. It instructs dieters to eat what cavemen ate - lean meats, seafood, fruits, and vegetables and avoid processed foods and dairy products.
In addition to the do-it-yourself diets, such as MyFitnessPal and the Paleo Diet, Consumer Reports also rated commercial diets, which you generally have to pay to join, and in some cases buy their prepackaged food. Nutrisystem was the lowest-rated commercial diet. More than a third of those surveyed who tried it didn't like the plan's food.
Among commercial diet plans, Weight Watchers scored much higher - higher than Jenny Craig. It works a bit differently. You don't have to buy their food, and you can eat whatever you want within their points limit. You can attend Weight Watchers meetings and track your diet online.
diet, consumer news
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead 54 min ago
- Partly sunny, warm and humid today 17 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Local help on the way for tornado victims
- Oklahoma Tornado: How You Can Help
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Box of ammo explodes, injuring man in Del.
- Couple charged in theft of $854K from township 23 min ago
- Prosecutor: Prison can't hold Savage's rage 50 min ago
- NJ ex-priest jailed after working with kids 50 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Street-level interactive weather map
- 2 teens arrested at Pennsbury H.S. prom
- Crews race to find tornado survivors; 24 dead
54 min ago
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos