POLL: Are you comfortable taking sick days?
January 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- One in 3 U.S. workers translates to 41.7 million people who can't afford to stay home even if they are sick. That certainly doesn't help slow down the flu.
A study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimates an additional five million people got sick with flu symptoms in 2009 because they didn't have paid sick leave.
Companies trying to skimp on costs may actually be creating more expenses for themselves.
The Centers for Disease Control estimates a typical flu season costs businesses about $10.4 billion for insurance coverage for hospitalizations and outpatient visits.
That doesn't include the cost of lost productivity and sales that comes along with the disease.
The liberal think tank Center for American Progress says the United States is the only developed country without a law guaranteeing employees the right to paid sick days.
poll, 6at4, flu, employment, consumer news
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Tpk. 1 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery 25 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly 56 min ago
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 33 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Temps Soar
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
25 min ago
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West...
56 min ago