POLL: Are you comfortable taking sick days?
January 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- One in 3 U.S. workers translates to 41.7 million people who can't afford to stay home even if they are sick. That certainly doesn't help slow down the flu.
A study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimates an additional five million people got sick with flu symptoms in 2009 because they didn't have paid sick leave.
Companies trying to skimp on costs may actually be creating more expenses for themselves.
The Centers for Disease Control estimates a typical flu season costs businesses about $10.4 billion for insurance coverage for hospitalizations and outpatient visits.
That doesn't include the cost of lost productivity and sales that comes along with the disease.
The liberal think tank Center for American Progress says the United States is the only developed country without a law guaranteeing employees the right to paid sick days.
poll, 6at4, flu, employment, consumer news
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 15 min ago
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from Del. River minivan plunge 22 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Rottweiler puppy poisoned in NJ
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- Evacuation came too late for many on sinking ferry 41 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Video: Parents outraged by faked kidnapping
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer 45 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3...
15 min ago