POLL: Are you comfortable taking sick days?
January 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- One in 3 U.S. workers translates to 41.7 million people who can't afford to stay home even if they are sick. That certainly doesn't help slow down the flu.
A study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimates an additional five million people got sick with flu symptoms in 2009 because they didn't have paid sick leave.
Companies trying to skimp on costs may actually be creating more expenses for themselves.
The Centers for Disease Control estimates a typical flu season costs businesses about $10.4 billion for insurance coverage for hospitalizations and outpatient visits.
That doesn't include the cost of lost productivity and sales that comes along with the disease.
The liberal think tank Center for American Progress says the United States is the only developed country without a law guaranteeing employees the right to paid sick days.
poll, 6at4, flu, employment, consumer news
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet 26 min ago
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 19 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act