POLL: Are you comfortable taking sick days?
January 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- One in 3 U.S. workers translates to 41.7 million people who can't afford to stay home even if they are sick. That certainly doesn't help slow down the flu.
A study published in the American Journal of Public Health estimates an additional five million people got sick with flu symptoms in 2009 because they didn't have paid sick leave.
Companies trying to skimp on costs may actually be creating more expenses for themselves.
The Centers for Disease Control estimates a typical flu season costs businesses about $10.4 billion for insurance coverage for hospitalizations and outpatient visits.
That doesn't include the cost of lost productivity and sales that comes along with the disease.
The liberal think tank Center for American Progress says the United States is the only developed country without a law guaranteeing employees the right to paid sick days.
poll, 6at4, flu, employment, consumer news
- 10-year-old Wilmington boy reported missing
- A Nice Stretch 31 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Get the new 6abc StormTracker app
- Traffic stop turns violent, police shoot suspect
- Friends mourn NJ doctor killed in murder-suicide
- Collapse committee to hold first meeting today
- Maple syrup used to vandalize Pottstown church
- Award-winning journalist Michael Hastings dies
- Paraplegic man castrated in SW Phila. attack
- Car carrier crashes into bridge in Whitemarsh Twp.
- Police: Girl used in theft at Phila. nail salon
- Death investigation leads police to home of Patriots TE
- James, Heat push NBA Finals to Game 7