Some stores may charge credit card fee
PHILADELPHIA - January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Paying by credit card could get more expensive.
Under the terms of a $7.2 billion settlement reached last summer between credit card companies and merchants, merchants will be free to impose a surcharge of up to four percent on customers paying by credit card.
The good news is, very few big retailers are planning to do that.
For years, Visa and Mastercard have been charging stores an interchange fee, which means the retailer pays every time a customer uses a credit card.
The interchange fee can really eat into profits, especially for mom-and-pop stores that have low margins.
Fortunately, according to the National Retail Federation, "The surcharge'settlement, which NRF opposes, will not impact many - if any - consumers. In fact, the NRF has not heard a single retailer proposing the surcharge."
In fact, because of the way the settlement is structured, most national retailers can't charge the fee anyway. Retailers who accept American Express as well as Visa and Mastercard won't be able to levy the surcharge either.
And, if a retailer does charge the fee, it must post a sign in the store and, online, the notice it must post something before check-out.
Debit card users won't be impacted.
If you're a business owner, connect with Nydia Han on Facebook and tell her if you are planning to pass along the surcharge.
If you're a customer, let Nydia know if you have seen a business passing along the surcharge.
consumer news, nydia han
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Sheriff: Colo. school shooter wounds 1, kills self
- Pregnant woman injured in crash with school bus 22 min ago
- 2-alarm house fire in Blackwood, NJ
- Drugs, $29K seized in raid at Rowan U. dorm
- Police search for missing Rider University student 16 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 2 min ago
- Coroner: Frat pledge died from head injuries
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors 21 min ago
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila. 16 min ago
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb plot 17 min ago
- Kansas airport worker arrested in car bomb...
17 min ago
- Eva Pilgrim reports on snow preps around...
18 min ago