Action News Gets Action - 6at4
January 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Consumer reporter Nydia Han helped a viewer who was having a paycheck problem.
We've received a few calls about a company that's now managing payroll for many home health care workers.
Consumers like Juanita and Gregory called for help - saying they're not getting their paychecks. Juanita Haney has had two strokes and needs constant care at home.
"Yeah, and I don't want a stranger," Juanita Haney of Germantown told Action News. "I had strangers before and it was not good."
So through a special Medicaid program, Juanita has been able to hire her own son, Gregory, to be her home health care aid.
"Who's better than your own family member?" she asked. "I don't have to worry about no one coming in here to violate me and hurt me."
Juanita says that's happened to her before. So now, Gregory cares for her full-time. He had been getting paid by the state through a company called Liberty Resources. But recently, Public Parternships LLC took over the payroll for Liberty and more than 30 other companies. Then, Gregory stopped receiving his paychecks.
"It's the only income that I have," Gregory Smith told Action News. "I mean, it's sad that I got to go through this situation especially when I have kids to take care of."
After Juanita contacted Call for Action, I got on the case and called Public Partnerships, which tells me there has been some confusion during the transition but it is working to resolve all issues.
The company got to the bottom of Gregory's situation and sent him his back pay of nearly $800 right away.
Juanita says it's a big relief for her and, of course, for her son.
"He can help his own family, do the things he wants to do," she says.
The best way to reach Action News and Call for Action is to call 1-866-978-4232. Our Call for Action volunteers will answer the phones Monday through Friday from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m.
You can also fill out this online form to get help.
6at4, consumer news, nydia han
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured
- Record Weekend Warmth
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 12 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 40 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
More 6abc.com links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos