Wegmans recalls flour over small plastic balls
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - February 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Wegmans Food Markets has recalled its house brand of flour because it may contain small, blue polyurethane balls.
The supermarket chain says the 5-pound bags its All-Purpose Bleached Flour may contain the balls, which are part of equipment used to sift the flour.
The company says they're made of food-grade material that doesn't contaminate the product and are easily seen because of their bright color and size, about half the diameter of a dime.
The flour was sold between Dec. 24 and Feb. 15. Company officials didn't initially return messages Wednesday seeking information about whether the balls have caused any physical problems among consumers.
Packages may be returned to stores for full refunds.
Wegmans has 81 stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts.
wegmans, consumer news
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 53 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
7 min ago