Wegmans recalls flour over small plastic balls
ROCHESTER, N.Y. - February 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Wegmans Food Markets has recalled its house brand of flour because it may contain small, blue polyurethane balls.
The supermarket chain says the 5-pound bags its All-Purpose Bleached Flour may contain the balls, which are part of equipment used to sift the flour.
The company says they're made of food-grade material that doesn't contaminate the product and are easily seen because of their bright color and size, about half the diameter of a dime.
The flour was sold between Dec. 24 and Feb. 15. Company officials didn't initially return messages Wednesday seeking information about whether the balls have caused any physical problems among consumers.
Packages may be returned to stores for full refunds.
Wegmans has 81 stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia, Maryland and Massachusetts.
wegmans, consumer news
- Photos: Weekend storm forecast maps
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 24 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for missing Rider University student
- Tennis coach charged with corruption of minors
- Arrest made after taxi carjacking in South Phila.
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million 52 min ago
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Police: Driver dies in crash after fleeing 2 others
- Laundromat robbed in Cedarbrook 53 min ago
- Stolen Xmas decorations returned in Berks Co.
- Video captures Manayunk market break-in
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Eva Pilgrim on highway storm preparations
42 min ago
- Mega Millions jackpot jumps to $425-million
52 min ago
- Army, Navy teams compete in Rocky Relay
35 min ago