Action News gets Action for 3 families
March 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- We don't call ourselves Action News for nothing. Whether you have a problem with a business or a government agency, whether your problem is big or small, we're here to help.
Sonia Brown of Southwest Philadelphia needed to give up her internet access to pay for food, medication, and electricity.
"I called and cancelled it yesterday," she said. "I wanted them to cancel it."
Sonia had paid in advance, so she wanted a pro-rated refund. But the service provider said no.
"They told me that's what their policy was: no refunds, no refunds," she said.
So Sonia called me. And after I contacted the company, she got her money back.
"Thank you so much," she said. "See? That's why I call Channel 6."
Evelyn Scott Davis of Mt. Airy loves helping others.
But when she needed some help herself getting a dangerous, abandoned home next to hers removed, "they were just giving me all kinds of numbers to call, and I'd call them all," she said.
Evelyn estimates she called Philadelphia Licenses and Inspections "about 1000 times over the course of 7 years."
So finally, Evelyn contacted Call for Action.
Thanks to our volunteers, the house was removed, the lot cleaned up, and Evelyn can focus on helping others once again.
We're happy we could help Evelyn, and also a woman named Theresa Barker, who was fighting for her teenage son.
"Pushplay was charging him $49 a month," said Theresa, of Garnet Valley, Pa. "He had no clue it was going on because he wasn't checking his statements and neither was I."
A good lesson: check your statements every month. After I called the company, it did send Theresa and her son a check for $350.
And I'd like to help you as well.
The best way to reach me is through Call for Action, open Monday through Friday from 11:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
Call 1-866-WPVI-CFA (978-4232) or email CFA any time.
call for action, consumer news, nydia han
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 1 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion 36 min ago
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion 56 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 5 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 36 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 8 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 11 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 29 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 11 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
56 min ago