Fire chief shares summer safety tips
PHILADELPHIA - July 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- With summer now in full swing, Philadelphia firefighters and paramedics want everyone to remember that some of the most fun summer activities can also be the most dangerous.
A two-year-old boy in Delaware suffered second and third degree burns after fire investigators say someone tried to ignite a barbeque grill using gasoline.
Meanwhile, three children and their pregnant mother were killed in Michigan when a fire ripped through their house, and it's believed the fire may have originated from a back porch barbeque.
Philadelphia Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers wants to make sure tragedies like this don't happen again.
"With the propane, you should not have the propane grills less than five feet away from any openings, doors, windows," he said.
Also with propane grills, thoroughly inspect them before each use. Look for cracks, brittleness, holes, and leaks in your connections and hoses.
"Make sure it's a current, legal propane tank that is one that has overfill protection," Ayers said.
One more tip: Never store a spare container under or near a lit grill.
When it comes to charcoal grills, never use them in an enclosed space. Once a fire has been started, never add lighter fluid and allow lighter fluid to penetrate the charcoal for 5 to 10 minutes before lighting to create a smaller, controlled flame.
As for other summertime hazards:
-keep pool chemicals away from volatile items such as gas generators.
-keep citronella candles and tiki torches at least 15 feet away from all structures, including fences.
-any time you're using power outdoors, make sure it goes through a GFCI, a ground fault circuit interruptor.
-never use an indoor extension cord or power strip outside.
-make sure you have a cover for your outdoor electrical outlets.
lifestyle, safety, consumer news, nydia han
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 44 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 9 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 53 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle 11 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
53 min ago
- Family of 5 escapes house fire in New Castle
11 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
44 min ago