High-tech system eases parking hassles
PHILADELPHIA - July 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Ask anyone who parks in Center City Philadelphia, and you probably hear things like this:
"It's a needle in a haystack!" says one man.
"In the middle of the afternoon, if you are coming into work, you might want to get here a good twenty or thirty minutes early, because it is very difficult to find a parking space," says Levar Mitchell of Southwest Philadelphia.
Not anymore, thanks to a new high-tech system called Park Assist. Right now it's only at the Liberty Place parking garage at 16th and Chestnut.
But Parkway Corporation's Robert Zuritsky tells me it'll be used in other garages in the future.
So how does it work?
"There are over 400 cameras in the garage," said Zuritsky.
These cameras have real-time sensors that detect whether or not a parking space is full.
When you enter the garage, you're greeted by an electronic board that shows how many empty spaces are on each level.
Farther inside, arrows point to where empty spaces are.
Look up, and a green light means a space is available..
If you see a purple light, that indicates there's a space where you can charge your electric vehicle using a charging station.
Lost your car or your parking ticket? No problem, since the system's cameras take a picture of your license plate.
"We can find your car and we can also tell you how much you owe us to park," said Zuritsky.
To locate your car, go to a Park Assist kiosk and enter part of your plate.
"I think it's good, especially if you're female because you don't want to be looking for your car later or at night," said Ian Victor of Woodbury, N.J. "So I think it's good overall."
If you have a smart phone, you don't even have to go to a kiosk. You can see where your car is by downloading the free Park Assist app.
"I'm absolutely going to download it now," said Levar Mitchell.
lifestyle, consumer news, nydia han
- Arctic Blast and Possible Weekend Storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- PennDOT clears roads of snow, preps for ice
- Limo driver charged in wreck that killed newlyweds
- Police search for burglar targeting Philly restaurants
- Police: Mom was DUI in chain-reaction crash
- Possible abduction caught on camera in Spring Garden
- No bail for 2 charged in Philly collapse
- Obama hails Mandela as "last great liberator"
- $344M Mega Millions numbers drawn
- 6 missing adults, children found alive in Nevada
- Photos: Victoria's Secret Fashion Show 2013 (Photos)