Consumer Reports tests Android protection apps
August 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Most mobile devices run on Android systems so Consumer Reports tested more than a dozen apps designed to keep Android devices safe.
Solomon Nasser landed in the repair shop when he ran into trouble with his smartphone.
"It just basically stopped working," he said.
The problems had also spread to his computer.
"Well, they both picked up a virus when I downloaded an app, a free app, from the Internet," said Nasser.
Consumer Reports just tested 16 Android security apps designed to keep your smart phone or tablet safe.
"These apps protect you against online threats like viruses and malware, and they also help you, if your phone is lost or stolen, to remotely lock it or find it or wipe it," said Dean Gallea, Consumer Reports.
Testers checked to see how well each app protects a user's privacy and also assessed any extras the apps have to offer.
"We looked at the apps' ease of use and also their versatility, including such features as being able to back up your phone or parental controls," said Gallea.
While some of the apps cost as much as $40 a year, you don't have to pay for good mobile protection.
"It turns out you can't go by price, because some of the best apps we tested were free, and some of the lower-rated ones were the more expensive ones," said Gallea.
In fact, one of the best apps is free. It's the Avast! Mobile Security and Antivirus app. It has nice features like parental controls, automatic backup, and an alarm you can activate if your device goes missing.
Overall, iPhones are less susceptible to viruses and malware because Apple's store is the only source for apps. There have been few reports of any problems.
However, no phone is immune to theft. If you have an iPhone, you can use the "Find My iPhone" feature to locate your phone on a map, remotely lock or delete all data to prevent a thief from accessing it.
lifestyle, consumer reports, consumer news, nydia han
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 22 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 12 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens 8 min ago
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- Bucks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 7 min ago
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Honda recalling 886,815 Odyssey minivans 2 min ago
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- Comedian David Brenner, 'Tonight' favorite, dies 15 min ago
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
12 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
22 min ago
- Focus turns to pilots as hunt for jet widens
8 min ago